Click here to search
Back to top

Samsung Galaxy Note 7 explodes inside Jeep





12 September 2016


A Jeep Grand Cherokee went up in flames in Florida, in the USA and the owner claims that the blaze was caused by his faulty Samsung Galaxy Note 7.

Nathan Dornacher told Fox 13 News that he left his Note 7 to charge in the Jeep’s center console while he was at a yard sale. Shortly after, he looked out of the window to see the SUV ablaze. Fire crews arrived on the scene and doused the flames, but it was too late to save the Jeep.

Last week, Samsung issued a recall for the Note 7 in ten different countries after confirmation of at least 35 Note 7s catching fire or exploding while being charged.

In a statement, the tech giant said that it was working with Dornacher to investigate the incident.

“We are aware of the incident and we are working with Mr. Dornacher to investigate his case and ensure we do everything we can for him. Consumer safety is Samsung’s highest priority. With regard to the Galaxy Note7, we are asking owners to take advantage of the Product Exchange Program announced on Friday of last week.”

Dornacher confirmed on Facebook that the Samsung had been in touch with him and is “being very helpful”.

The good news for South Africans is that the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 is not officially available in our country yet, so unless you bought one overseas, the version that we’ll be getting won’t contain the faulty battery. In fact it will probably be the safest phone around, as Samsung take extra precaution to make sure that there are no bugs or problems in the Note 7 that could cause the company’s share price to drop even further.