Want a shot at the fastest bakkie title?
Reckon you are a better driver than a middle-aged man from Pretoria? Reckon your double cab diesel can dodge the Tree Test (read our December issue, on shelf now, to find out more) without any issues, and has enough speed and handling to beat a Chinese Foton Tunland that we recently raced around the Karee track at Gerotek?
Then we have some good news: on 18 February 2017 we will host an open day at Gerotek, at this track, and manufacturers or private individuals will be welcome to put their double cabs to the test to find out what bakkie really is the fastest of them all.
There are some conditions, of course:
* Mechanical changes are limited to an aftermarket suspension system of choice that must be available for sale in a retail store (over the counter) in South Africa;
* You may fit any tyre you like, as long as it is on the original rim that the bakkie is sold with
* You may bring any driver to the fight, including Stéphane Peterhansel
On the day we’ll provide:
* A medical assistance team
* Marshals and timing equipment
* Some foodstuffs and drinks
Entry will be free (we’re nice like that), but space will be limited, so if you are interested book your spot now… email us at email@example.com
Hannes Grobler raced the Tunland around the track at Gerotek for us and this is what he had to say: “The Foton surprised me a lot. It has plenty of power and torque, and with the aftermarket suspension and Grabber tyres, it handled the track really well. I was less impressed by the gearbox, finding the right gear was challenging in the beginning, and the shifts were very vague. I did get used to it, though, and I must say the Chinese bakkie handled everything I threw at it in its stride.”