What can be better than breaking away with your girlfriends for a weekend of sun, surf and sand in Kosi Bay and Ponta da Ouro? Join the Bush Babes on this tried and tested and very popular ladies only trip where you can dive, snorkel, swim with dolphins, quad bike, deep sea fish, go for a turtle walk or a spa treatment. Just when you thought this year is catching up with you and you really need a break, Bush Babes offer a simple solution: join us! Here is the itinerary of this wonderful trip – our most memorable and unforgettable thus far
BUSH BABES AND EXPLORE AFRICA KOSI BAY/PONTA DO OURO LONG WEEKEND: 1 – 5 MAY
DAY 1: 1 MAY 2013
We leave Gauteng early morning and drive via Piet Retief and the Jozini dam to Kosi Bay Lodge where we will spend our first night. The lodge is situated a few hundred meters from the water’s edge of Lake Nhlange (the 3rd and largest lake at Kosi Bay). The accommodation is rustic more than plush, but the atmosphere and setting make a stay well worthwhile. On arrival we will go on a 2 hour boat cruise on the lakes and through the channels to the ancient Tonga fish kraals before having sundowners in the Nhlange Pub overlooking the lake. We will enjoy cuisine with a distinctive local flavor in the cozy atmosphere of the Umdoni (water berry) restaurant overlooking the pool and sundeck.
DAY 2-4: 2-4 MAY 2013
Ponta D’Oura – Mozambique
We will have breakfast in the Umdoni restaurant before leaving for the Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife’s Tourism office where we will take out our permits to visit Kosi Mouth. Depending on the tide we will snorkel in the channel at the mouth of the estuary, with its kaleidoscope of over 200 species of tropical fish or just walk on the pristine beaches surrounded by turquoise waters. We will stop in the little village of Manguzi for a light lunch before proceeding to the border with Mozambique. From the border we will have an interesting 30 minutes of sand driving to Ponta D’Oura.
BORDER: KOSI BAY/FARAZELA
- South African Passport holders: free of charge, no visa required. (On occasion customs asks for R15 border tax per person)
- Foreign Passport Holders: Visa at border, Visa costs vary. (+/- R545/visa)
- R180 for 3rd Party Vehicle Insurance
- It is also advisable to carry a HIGH VISIBILITY VEST in your vehicle in case police ask for it. It is law to have this in your vehicle if you are traveling up north in Mocambique.
- R20 for Temporary import permit & Vehicle registration. Valid drivers’ license, vehicle registration papers (letter from owner if you are borrowing their 4×4) (All fees above are subject to change)
On arrival in Ponta we will first visit the renowned Fernando’s Bar for an R & R (local Tipo Tinto rum and raspberry) before going to Somente Aqua Lodge where we will stay over for the next three nights. Somente Lodge rests against the dune overlooking the Thanje campsite. Nestled amongst the trees and connected by boardwalks, these wooden chalets are only a few minutes’ walk from the beach. Each chalet has a fully equipt open-plan kitchen/lounge area, with all doors leading onto a patio with braai facilities
Staying for three nights means that we will have two full days to chill on the white beaches or/and taking part in the various activities.
- Scuba Diving – Ponta is known for its world-class reefs. (Simply Scuba)
- 4×4 scenic routes through the pristine dune forest along the beautiful lakes on soft, challenging sand track
- Dolphin Encounters (Somente Aqua)
- Quad bikes (Back to Basics Adventures)
- Deep-Sea fishing (Gozo Azul)
- Turtle walks in season (Egg laying October – December, Hatching February – April)
- Spa for some pampering
- White sandy beach strolls & warm, clean Indian Ocean swimming, hiking
- Great Beach bars for sun-downers and nightclubs for those who want to dance (even with 2 left feet)
- There is a pharmacy, bakery, fishing-tackle shop, supermarket, hardware, bottle store and a few jewellery & surf shops in town.
R3000 per person (The cost is based on 6 vehicles/12 Adults sharing)
FGASA & DEAT registered Guide Vehicle 3rd parties (R 180)
Level 2 First Aider Other border costs (R 20)
Fully equipped recovery vehicle Personal Purchases
Tented Camp accommodation at Kosi Bay Lodge Meals and beverages
Chalet accommodation at Somente Aqua Fuel
Boat cruise Kosi Bay Activities at Ponta D’Oura