Volkswagen chose the annual Caravan Salon in Dusseldorf to introduce an upgraded version of the entry-level Beach camper, now featuring a kitchen.
Until now this was reserved for the more exclusive Coast and Ocean models.
Unlike the Coast and Ocean models, the Beach doesn’t have a large row kitchen, but rather a small fold-out mini-kitchen.
Thanks to the smaller kitchen, the Beach can be specified with a three-seater bench. So for the first time, a family of five can go camping in a VW California, while having a kitchen on board.
To use the mini-kitchen, it is pulled up and out of the side panel between the B- and C-pillar and folded out. The stainless steel unit has a single-hob gas cooker on the left and a worktop on the right. Over the gas cooker there is also a cover plate, which when lifted up for cooking serves as a splashback.
If the mini kitchen’s hotplate/worktop is not needed, you simply tip it up and lower it back into the side panel, which, incidentally, despite mini kitchen is no wider than its counterpart with no kitchen. Under the hotplate/worktop against the side wall is a large, open storage compartment and an enclosed compartment for the 1.8kg gas bottle.
The standard features of the California 6.1 Beach Camper include:
- Aluminium pop-up roof with canvas sides in Basalt Grey
- Camper control unit with touchscreen in the roof console
- Roof bed, redesigned with sprung base
- Swivel seats at the front with lumbar support and armrests
- Camper interior lighting concept in the passenger compartment
- Two-seater bench plus fold-out bed extension incl. mattress below and side storage compartments
- Folding table in the sliding door, folding chairs in the tailgate
- ‘Climatic’ air conditioning system
- Awning tracks in black
- Composition Colour radio with 6 loudspeakers
- Sliding window on the left
- Sliding door on the right
- Hideaway mini kitchen
- Storage compartment drawer
- Fabric blackout screens for the cab
- Illuminated tread plates with ‘California’ inscription
- Double USB socket on the outside of the front passenger seat
- Cab and passenger compartment blackout
- 230V socket with AC converter next to the driver’s seat (300W)