The updated ix35 has made its debut in South Africa with a range of technological and styling enhancements, an improved new two-litre petrol engine and a new six-speed manual gearbox.
The new ix35 model range in South Africa consists of 6 derivatives – the 2.0 NU Premium with the two-litre petrol engine linked to either a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission; the intermediate ix35 2.0 NU Executive with the two-litre petrol engine and six-speed manual transmission; and topped by the Elite derivatives, of which one is powered by the two-litre petrol engine and the other two by the two-litre turbodiesel. The range-topping R2.0 Elite is equipped with the two-litre turbodiesel, a six-speed automatic transmission and All-Wheel Drive. All other derivatives are driven through the front wheels only.
One of the most significant upgrades for the model is the replacement of the 2,0-litre Theta II petrol engine with a new, super-efficient Nu 2-litre Multi-Port Injection engine. The new engine offers a more even and efficient delivery of power and torque – with peaks of 116 kW at 6 200 r/min. and 192 Nm at 4 000 r/min. respectively.
The new petrol engine delivers higher peak torque at lower engine revolutions for enhanced everyday driving dynamics when compared with the previous multi-port fuel injected engine. Performance gains were achieved by equipping the engine with an efficient, responsive MPI fuel delivery system.
The new petrol engine is available in combination with a new six-speed manual gearbox or an improved, very responsive and smooth-changing six-speed automatic transmission with SHIFTRONIC® manual control. The gated gear shifter for the automatic transmission has also been upgraded to a straight-type with a boot cover for ease of use.
Two of the new derivatives in the enhanced ix35 range are equipped with the 2-litre CRDi turbodiesel engine that is also available with either a six-speed manual gearbox or a six-speed automatic gearbox. The 2.0 which features All-Wheel Drive to make this the range-topping ix35.
The six derivatives in the new ix35 range offers a variety of specifications for every budget and taste of Hyundai’s customers – from the entry-level Premium to the Executive package and the three Elite derivatives.
The exterior enhancements of the new ix35 include:
- New projector headlights with LED accents;
- LED taillights;
- New body-coloured front grille;
- Roof side rails with panoramic sunroof; and
- New 17-inch and 18-inch alloy wheel designs.
The cabin of the new ix35 feature interior enhancements that include:
- Two-stage latch-type reclining 60/40 split rear seats;
- Standard tilt and telescopic steering wheel;
- Standard steering-wheel mounted audio controls, and cruise control buttons for the Executive and Elite derivatives;
- Bigger cupholders with blue light illumination;
- Smart key with push-button start for the Elite derivatives;
- A new audio system (radio+CD+MP3) with Bluetooth;
- A standard Bluetooth hands-free phone system with controls on the steering wheel; and
- A TFT 4,3-inch color LCD touchscreen audio system with a rearview camera display in the Executive and Elite derivatives.
Part of the new Hyundai ix35 package is a 5 year/ 150 000 km warranty; 5 year/90 000 km Service Plan; and 5 year/150 000 km Roadside Assistance.
Prices of the new Hyundai ix35 range:
2.0 NU Premium 6MT2 R 319 900
2.0 NU Premium 6AT2 R 334 900
2.0 NU Executive 6MT2 R 349 900
2.0 NU Elite 6AT2 R 369 900
R2.0 Elite 6MT2 R 389 900
R2.0 Elite 6AT4 R 449 900